The Computer Showcase is a unique sales and service center dedicated to helping U-M students and staff purchase and use information technology. University of Michigan Students are eligible for entry-level employment in either of the following roles:
Showcase Sales Consultants assist customers in person and by phone with technology purchase needs. Ideal candidates are customer focused, self-motivated, dependable and able to be a positive contributor to the Computer Showcase.
Some regular responsibilities include:
- Advising customers on purchasing decisions with respect to new computer systems, peripherals and software offerings
- Answering questions about computer configurations and assisting with product and prices comparisons
- Assisting customers via phone and in person with the previous tasks and being able to direct customers to the appropriate information on the Showcase website
- Processing sales transactions accurately and efficiently on a point-of-sale system
- Assisting with stock room tasks on an as-needed basis
Repair Consultants perform a wide variety of technology troubleshooting and repair-related activities. Common duties include helping customers with operating system, software, backup, wireless access, virus and other computing issues. Consultants also help diagnose hardware problems and assist with the check-in and pick-up of repairs. They may be called on to ring sales, help customers select products, and perform other Showcase tasks.
All consultants receive valuable on-the-job training under the supervision of repair technicians and store managers. Advancement to the position of repair technician is possible with successful work performance and training.
We seek individuals who demonstrate the following qualities:
- Is committed to serving the university in an important customer service role
- Has excellent listening, speaking, and writing skills
- Is detail-oriented, careful and systematic in work habits
- Has a personal interest in learning and applying technical information and skills
- Is a dependable and flexible team player
More Details for Both Positions
- A student of the University of Michigan
- Familiar with Apple and PC hardware and software
- Familiar with Microsoft Office applications, Google tools, web browsers, anti-virus software, etc.
- Able to work under pressure in a fast-paced, team-oriented work environment
- Able to move and organize stock; including the ability to climb a ladder, move items overhead, and safely lift or maneuver 30 pounds unassisted
Also, must have:
- Work experience in a customer support, sales or service role
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision
Student employees will be required to work a minimum of 8 hours per week; most work 10-15 hours/week during the academic term.
Starting pay: $8.50-$9.00/hour depending on position and experience
Please submit your resume and a short cover letter (PDF format required) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your cover letter should address the following questions:
- What interests you about working at the Showcase?
- Briefly describe your technical knowledge and abilities.
- What characteristics or skills do you have that make you well suited to work at the Computer Showcase?
- Please include your availability and preferred work location (North or Central campus) for each block of time. The Showcase is open Monday-Friday 9-6 (9-5 during the summer) at both locations. Consultants must work at least 8 hours per week, minimum 2 hours per shift.
Thank you for your interest in the Computer Showcase.